Kommuninvest publicerar idag sin syn på det nyligen publicerade slutliga förslaget till utformning av regelverk i USA gällande likviditetstäckningsgrad (engelsk text)
För ytterligare information, kontakta Björn Bergstrand, Senior Investor Relations Manager, telefon 0708-86 94 76, e-post: firstname.lastname@example.org
Kommuninvest and the US regulation regarding Liquidity Coverage Ratio
On September 3, 2014, the Federal Reserve Board, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, and the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency issued its final draft regarding the Liquidity Coverage Ratio requirement.
Securities carrying a sovereign guarantee are eligible as Hiqh Quality Liquid Assets (HQLA) at Level 1. Municipal securities will not currently count toward HQLA, but regulators are planning to issue a new proposal that would allow certain highly liquid muni securities to be treated as HQLA, probably at Level 2b.
Kommuninvest believes there are valid arguments to include Kommuninvest securities as Hiqh Quality Liquid Assets (HQLA) at Level 1:
• Kommuninvest is a public sector institution whose mandate is to provide Swedish local governments with cost-efficient and stable funding. Kommuninvest is a not-for-profit initiative, and its lending is exclusively to Swedish local government sector entities.
• Kommuninvest bonds are 0 % risk-weighted according to the Basel III framework and carry a AAA/Aaa rating. During stressed market conditions, Kommuninvest obligations have a proven record as a reliable source of liquidity.
• Kommuninvest bonds are explicitly guaranteed by the members of the Kommuninvest Cooperative Society, which totalled 272 municipalities and 8 county councils on 15 September, 2014. Local governments in Sweden are by law entitled to levy tax to meet their commitments. No Swedish local government has ever defaulted on a payment commitment nor can they be declared bankrupt; Swedish local governments can only cease to exist through merging. Kommuninvest has never recorded a loss in its lending to Swedish local governments.
• In Sweden, Kommuninvest is a Level 1 asset for LCR purposes. No haircuts apply and no cap on proportion in overall liquidity buffer. Effective from 1 January 2013.
• In the European Union, Kommuninvest is an expected Level 1 asset. According to an EU Commission draft, Kommuninvest securities are to be classified as a Level 1 instrument (decision expected October 2014).
• Kommuninvest’s mandate as the Swedish Local Government Debt Office, its 0 % risk-weighting and the explicit guarantee from local government sector owners with tax-levying authority, makes it the closest proxy to Swedish sovereign risk.
• In particular, Kommuninvest believes its benchmark bonds issued in USD under its Euro Medium Term Note programme qualify as liquid and readily-marketable instruments in the US market. As of 15 September, 2014, there were seven (7) bonds outstanding, for a total outstanding amount of USD 9.6 billion and in maturities ranging from 2015 to 2017.
• Kommuninvest bonds are accepted by US banks for repo transactions and accepted as collateral by the Federal Reserve.
The information above has been prepared by and is the sole responsibility of Kommuninvest i Sverige AB (publ) (the ”Issuer”) and has not been verified, approved or endorsed by any legal counsel, lead manager, bookrunner or underwriter retained by the Issuer. No representation or warranty, express or implied, is made as to, and no reliance should be placed on, the fairness, accuracy, completeness or correctness of the information or opinions contained herein.
This information may contain projections and forward looking statements. Any such forward-looking statements involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors which may cause the Issuer’s actual performance or achievements to be materially different from any future performance or achievements expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements. Any such forward-looking statements will be based on numerous assumptions regarding the Issuer’s present and future strategies and the environment in which the Issuer will operate in the future.
This information is provided for information purposes only and do not constitute, or form part of, any offer or invitation to underwrite, subscribe for or otherwise acquire or dispose of, or any solicitation of any offer to underwrite, subscribe for or otherwise acquire or dispose of, any debt or other securities of the Issuer (”securities”) and are not intended to provide the basis for any credit or any other third party evaluation of securities. This information should not be considered as a recommendation that any investor should subscribe for or purchase any securities. If any such offer or invitation is made, it will be done pursuant to separate and distinct documentation in the form of a prospectus, offering circular or other equivalent document (a ”prospectus”) and any decision to purchase or subscribe for any securities pursuant to such offer or invitation should be made solely on the basis of such prospectus and not This information. This information may not be relied upon for the entering into of any transaction.
Further, any forward-looking statements will be based upon assumptions of future events which may not prove to be accurate. Any such forward-looking statements in this information will speak only as at the date of this information and the Issuer assumes no obligation to update or provide any additional information in relation to such forward-looking statements.
This information is not intended for distribution to, or use by any person or entity in any jurisdiction or country where such distribution or use would be contrary to local law or regulation. In particular, This information is for distribution in the United Kingdom only to persons who meet the following criteria: 1. (i) investment professionals falling within Article 19(5) of the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 (Financial Promotion) Order 2005 (the ”Order”) or (ii) persons falling within Article 49(2)(a) to (d) (”high net worth companies, unincorporated associations etc”) of the Order or 2. persons to whom This information may otherwise be directed without contravention of section 21 of the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 (all such persons being referred to as ”relevant persons”). This information must not be acted or relied on by persons who are not relevant persons. In member states of the European Economic Area, This information is only directed at persons who are ”qualified investors” within the meaning of Article 2(1)(e) of Directive 2003/71/EC.
This information is only being provided to (i) persons that are ”qualified institutional buyers” (”QIBs”) as defined in Rule 144A under the US Securities Act of 1933 (the ”US Securities Act”) in reliance on the exemption from registration provided by Rule 144A or (ii) persons outside the United States in connection with offshore transactions in reliance on Regulation S under the US Securities Act. By accepting delivery of this presentation the recipient warrants and acknowledges that it falls within the category of persons under (i) or (ii) above. This information and the information contained herein do not constitute and should not be construed as an offer to sell or solicitation of an offer to buy securities in the United States. The securities proposed to be offered have not been, and will not be, registered under the US Securities Act and, subject to certain exceptions, may not be offered or sold within the United States, its territories or possessions. Such securities may be offered and sold (i) within the United States only to QIBs, in reliance on the exemption from registration provided by Rule 144A and (ii) outside the United States in connection with offshore transactions in reliance on Regulation S.